Sometimes, adversities come unexpectedly. You cannot know what prevails for you at anytime ahead. Accidents are most likely what I meant to this. Accident is accident, no matter what! It may leave you with injuries, hurt you intensely or even death.
Since, we already absorbed the sweltering rays of the sun on a fiery summer season, we are being magnetized to enjoy and relax for a vacation in different bodies of water, it could be beaches, oceans, rivers, pools, streams and lakes. But we must plan ahead to keep ourselves safe from having fun. Dangers could be lurking in different bodies of water that may lead to drowning accidents.
According to the article that I have read, drowning occurs when the lungs are filled with a liquid so that the victim cannot breathe or absorb oxygen, and therefore subsequently suffocates. Though we commonly correlate death with drowning, it does not result in a fatality. Drowning survivors often suffer injuries related to lack of oxygen to the brain including loss of memory, mental disability and other permanent impairments.
But, drowning is always almost preventable. As a matter of fact it is easier to prevent drowning accidents rather than treat drowning victims. If you strictly adopt, the following steps, you can effectively safeguard yourself and your loved ones against dangerous drowning accidents:
- Person who do not know how to swim should keep away from deep waters.
- Never go swimming alone, especially in an open water setting.
- Always make sure that children is well supervised by an adult when they swim.
- Avoid swimming immediately after eating or when one is tired.
- Don't reply on floating toys to keep you afloat.
- Make sound judgments when engaging in water activities.
- Never swim in places where the condition (depth and current) of the water is unknown.
- Never swim if you are drunk or consumed mind-altering drugs.
- Don't hesitate to shout for a "help" if you are really drowning.
To avoid brain damage and death, it is significant to restore breathing immediately to a drowning victim. Start a mouth-to-mouth resuscitation as soon as possible even before the drowning victim is out of water. If the heart stopped beating, do the cardiac massage together with the mouth-to-mouth resuscitation. It is also recommended, that adult swimmers, in particular with those with children must know how to execute CPR in case of emergency.
The bottom-line of my post, is we must practice safety all the time to avoid accidents. For I know safety is not a gadget but a state of mind.